Seeds | Fresh Peppers | Specials | Cart
All Prices Include Shipping to US Destinations

Dragon’s Breath Pepper: Hottest pepper in the world?

The Dragon’ Breath pepper is being called the “Hottest Pepper in the World”.  Many now claim it will displace the Carolina Reaper as the Guinness World Record champion.  But despite all the press, media, and publicity: nothing is positive other than the claims seem a bit far fetched.  Some claim it is so hot it can kill a person.  A pepper that can kill you?

Update: Peppers by Mail has secured Dragon’s Breath seed and will include them in our Seed Catalog summer of 2018 or sooner.

Dragon' Breath Pepper: New Hottet Pepper in the world?

Dragon’ Breath Pepper

Certainly with the right allergy, anything can kill a person.  Yes, super hot peppers and a host of other plant can cause anaphylactic shock or obstruct breathing in other ways.  But even if the Dragon’s Breath pepper is as hot as claimed, it is not much hotter than the Carolina Reaper. Although the media likes to claim the Dragon’s Breath has measured 2.48 million SHU and the Carolina Reaper only hit 1.6 million SHU, the figure for the Carolina Reaper is an average.  In fact, the Carolina Reaper has been shown in laboratory tests to reach 2.2 million.  Besides, there are plenty of Youtube video where folk consume various extracts which measure much higher on the SHU scale.

Now one might think that at 2.48 million on the SHU scale, the Dragon’s Breath automatically beats the Carolina Reaper’s 2.2 million.  But when it comes to the Guinness crown, it is the average that counts.  For all we know, the Carolina Reaper still averages higher than the Dragon’s Breath pepper.

Can Dragon’s Breath Kill You?

Can the Dragon’s Breath pepper kill you?  Sure it can.  But when we consider pepper spray is generally considered less than lethal force at 2 million SHU, it seem much more likely that upon eating one, you will imply want to die.

“I’ve tried it on the tip of my tongue, and it just burned and burned,” Smith told the Daily Post. “I spat it out in about 10 seconds.” – As Reported by Yahoo News

Dragon’s Breath Pepper Origins

Dragon's Breath Pepper

Dragon’ Breath Pepper

The Telegraph report that the Dragon’ Breath Pepper was developed accidentally by Mike Smith.  Beyond that, very little is known about this new peppers.  Its lineage has not been reported.  Dragon’s Breath seeds are not available.  There seems to be no online store.  There has been some chatter about plugs and small plants being sold in the UK, but as of yet it seems popular opinion on this pepper is going to have to wait a few years until folk get a chance to grow it.

Please tell your friends.

13 comments for “Dragon’s Breath Pepper: Hottest pepper in the world?

1. Jubnat
    June 11, 2017 at 1:49 am

You gotta think it’s funny when the guy that created it can’t even eat a bite of one! I don’t trust him. Hah!

2. Jobeach
    June 13, 2017 at 1:20 am

I’d gladly try it out for him. I love the super hots. It would be a great if it’s not a trick..

3. JustDucky
    June 22, 2017 at 6:15 pm

Great article. Interested in seeing how the hype will pick up.

4. Larry
    August 6, 2017 at 10:46 pm

Ok I’m a pepper head
    Where can i get some plants or seeds to plant ?
    I have my own way to get around the heat (aka oil)
    That is what causes the heat is the plant produces an oil in the stems that is design to protect the seeds from being eaten by animals or humans
    My method works great & I don’t spread the oil around when I use my method
    Unlike the IDIOTS who use liquids
    I want to grow some & try them out with my method
    So i need to know where to get some seeds or plants
    I can get Carolina Reaper seeds, but the DB is suppose to be worst

5. Doug
    August 19, 2017 at 12:48 pm

if it does beat the reaper it won’t for long, Ed Currie has unreleased peppers that are twice that of the reapers, after all the reaper climbed to the top in 2013 he didnt exactly stop trying to make them hotter 😉

• A.J. Drew
      August 19, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Since the article came out, there has been a tremendous amount of controversy over the claims that were made. So not sure the Carolina Reaper has a challenger these days. Lots of claims, but then they all seem to wind up in controversy.

6. September 5, 2017 at 10:41 pm

What happened to the Bhutlah? Is that no longer in the running?

• A.J. Drew
      September 6, 2017 at 12:26 am

The Chocolate Bhutlah, the Death Strain, and the Turd Pepper just in the last few years have made claims and I am only touching on a few. The next hottest pepper in the world seems to be a popular claim that rarely pans out.

7. john Ruddick
    September 6, 2017 at 2:00 am

I was wondering if i can order seeds from these peppers i would like to grow some

• A.J. Drew
      September 6, 2017 at 4:30 pm

I heard tell some plants were sold this past spring, but nothing since. In short, best be is to google every week or so to see if someone has managed to get them for sale.

8. Wellman Phillips
    October 17, 2017 at 6:34 am

The most recent article I have read about this pepper explains that it was actually grown on purpose with the help of nottingham university scientest for use as an anaesthetic, but who knows these days, you can’t trust the news anymore

9. steve Johnson
    December 13, 2017 at 8:07 am

I heard Ed Currie has come out with Pepper X now and it’s being tested to be the next hottest pepper in the world.. Tests should be done by the end of the year.”2017″ We will see what happens.

• A.J. Drew
      December 13, 2017 at 9:07 am

We will see. Personally, I am getting tired of all the new hottest pepper in the world claims. There have been just so many that never went anywhere.