The Brazilian Starfish  

RSS

BlackFatalii
(@blackfatalii)
Eminent Member
November 22, 2018 4:54 am  

The red Brazilian Starfish is one of my favorite mild peppers. I love its unusual look, and the sweet, almost berry-like flavor. The sweet flavor reminds me a bit of Bishop's Crown, but the Starfish seems to have less of a tendency to also have a floral or perfumey undercurrent, and is usually a little spicier than Bishop's Crown. Also, the Starfish plants are really forgiving and easy to grow. Although I find that they do tend to sprawl a bit and may need staking or other means of support. With heat maybe just a little above a Jalapeno, this is a pepper for everyone. They are fairly productive too. Just a wonderful pepper variety, IMO. 

So, has anyone else tried this pepper? What do you think about it? Do you love it as much as I do, or maybe you prefer something else?

ReplyQuote
BlackFatalii
(@blackfatalii)
Eminent Member
November 23, 2018 4:29 am  

Brazilian Starfish 30 Jan 2018

ReplyQuote
A.J. Drew
(@ajdrew)
Member Admin
November 23, 2018 8:51 am  

I use the larger ones for stuffing.  I am an onion lover.  I will pulverize onions into a paste in a chopping jar.  Add just enough cream cheese to hold it together, stuff and toast just long enough to melt it together.

They are also high on my list for resin jewelry making.  Sliced open, they look like something people would like as necklaces.

BlackFatalii liked
ReplyQuote
BlackFatalii
(@blackfatalii)
Eminent Member
November 24, 2018 7:35 am  

Hmmm. Starfish stuffed with cream cheese does sound pretty good. I will have to try that sometime. I have pods starting to ripen now, so "sometime" might actually be pretty soon.  🙂 

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by BlackFatalii

ReplyQuote
Cayenne Diane
(@cayenne-diane)
November 29, 2018 7:28 am  

I love them as well. Super easy to grow! I planned to take this past season off from growing peppers, but my Brazilian Starfish plant from last season had other plans. It was left neglected outside all Winter (in CA, so no frost), and that plant picked up right where it left off come Spring. Produced SO many little peppers. I'll have to try stuffing them.

🔥 Stay spicy 🔥
-Cayenne Diane

BlackFatalii liked
ReplyQuote
A.J. Drew
(@ajdrew)
Member Admin
November 29, 2018 3:28 pm  

Off Topic - Are you 'the' Cayenne Dianne?  If so, wow I feel like I have a rock star at my humble forum.  That and with all the cartoon images of you, I have often wondered what you really look like.  Now seeing your image, the cartoons do not do you justice.

I am going to add a section to the friends list for sites so you can register yours and we can promote you.  Not that you need promoting.  Seriously, I think most pepper heads know your site.  You are very well known and I am wildly honored.

BlackFatalii liked
ReplyQuote
gratefulseedsaver
(@gratefulseedsaver)
Eminent Member
December 1, 2018 3:58 pm  

The Brazilian Starfish has a natural vining habit. I've had them get almost 6 feet tall outdoors and super sprawling canopy of 8-10 feet in a Florida Weave system. Crazy prolific. A real good market variety. 

'Freedom Disappears Under The Dominance Of A Bad Habit'

ReplyQuote
Share: