Fish Pepper  

RSS

BlackFatalii
(@blackfatalii)
Eminent Member
November 24, 2018 7:16 am  

fish best

fish pod

Has anyone else here ever grown the Fish pepper? Not only does it have beautiful variegated foliage, but the pods have a nice sweet taste, with only a mild burn. I have read that it may be a variant of the Serrano. The pods are about the right shape and size for that, and the heat seems to be on a similar level as well. However, I don't recall any of my plants having fuzzy stems and leaves like Serranos often do. Some sources claim that the variegation occurs because the plants carry recessive genes for albinism. I have observed that some plants can be noticeably more variegated than others.

There are of course other variegated pepper varieties out there, but the Fish pepper is one of the most flavorful ones that I have tried. It is well worth growing, in my opinion. Both for its natural beauty, and for the tasty peppers that it produces.

ReplyQuote
gratefulseedsaver
(@gratefulseedsaver)
Eminent Member
November 30, 2018 11:00 am  

I agree. Very good flavor. I grow and sell  Fish and Trifetti pepper plants as'edible' landscape plants. Both offer great looks and taste. As far as it being a Serrano relative, I'm not botanist by any means, but the pod shape of the Serrano seems more 'torpedo' shaped and longer pods and the Fish more of a tapered and shorter pod shape. The Fish Pepper is from the Caribbean Islands and the Serrano from the mountainous regions of Hildago, Mexico. About the only thing I can tell you is that both are pretty versatile in the kitchen. Very nice looking plant in your pics, Black Fatalii!!!

'Freedom Disappears Under The Dominance Of A Bad Habit'

ReplyQuote
gratefulseedsaver
(@gratefulseedsaver)
Eminent Member
December 1, 2018 3:44 pm  

Try the Trifetti pepper. See pic below.

3A0D7E53 4713 4336 9592 57B137F5981E

ReplyQuote
BlackFatalii
(@blackfatalii)
Eminent Member
December 3, 2018 5:29 am  

Yes, the Trifetti is a very pretty ornamental plant. I believe it is also sold under the names Purple Tiger and Tricolor Variegata. Assuming that those are really all the same variety, then I have tried them. The Variegata pods I tried were fairly seedy and a bit tart and tangy tasting, and had a pretty good burn for an ornamental Annuum. Personally, I prefer the sweeter taste of the Fish pepper. The Variegata pods were noticeably hotter than the Fish peppers though. But they are both very pretty plants for sure.

ReplyQuote
gratefulseedsaver
(@gratefulseedsaver)
Eminent Member
December 4, 2018 2:31 am  

Definitely seedier. I love versatility of both varieties, though. Yes, it’s the same plant. I never understood the need for ten names for the same plant. Pretty redundant too me. I get how sometimes a plant name gets lost, but that has a lot do with record keeping I think. Maybe I’m being too critical, but diligence does prevail.

ReplyQuote
Share: