Let's Talk Hydroponics  

RSS

BlackFatalii
(@blackfatalii)
Eminent Member
November 24, 2018 5:49 am  

So, does anyone else here grow peppers or anything else hydroponically? In addition to peppers, I have a couple of small tomato plants and several ground cherries that I started from seed a few weeks ago. I have been using the Kratky method with Masterblend nutes for simplicity and because Kratky is so low-maintenance. I have been thinking about adding a pump and experimenting a bit with a DWC-type setup, just to see what difference, if any, it will make compared to the Kratky method. 

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago by BlackFatalii

ReplyQuote
A.J. Drew
(@ajdrew)
Member Admin
November 29, 2018 11:57 pm  

I very much want to start with aquaponics.  Couple of reasons.  First because i think raising koi could add a wee bit of income and relaxation to my routine.  Then there is the major reason.  i have been digging out a pit / under ground green house.  Planning on using water to bank the heat of the day to keep things alive at night during the winter time, trying to grow year round.  Might as well use that water for something else... yes?

OK, I admit it.  I just want to raise Koi and this is an excuse that lets me use them as business expences.

ReplyQuote
gratefulseedsaver
(@gratefulseedsaver)
Eminent Member
December 1, 2018 7:01 pm  

More Oxygen = More Healthy Roots. Have you tried using H2O2 in your passive system? The roots like the extra oxygen molecule and it helps curb bacteria. I use about 30ml (3ml per gallon) of 35% H2O2 per ten gallons and add 10-15 ml per day to the reservoir. It's cheap, very effective and easy to use.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by gratefulseedsaver

'Freedom Disappears Under The Dominance Of A Bad Habit'

BlackFatalii liked
ReplyQuote
BlackFatalii
(@blackfatalii)
Eminent Member
December 3, 2018 7:11 am  

Aquaponics seems like an interesting system. I like the idea of using the fish and plants together for their mutual benefit, similar to what happens in a natural ecosystem. Pretty cool, assuming that the whole system stays in balance over the long term.

Thanks for the tip about using H2O2 in passive hydro setups. I had not really considered it before. Since you say it is working for you, I might just give that a try.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by BlackFatalii

ReplyQuote
gratefulseedsaver
(@gratefulseedsaver)
Eminent Member
December 5, 2018 11:46 pm  

You’ll notice differences of  improved plant vigor and health within 2 weeks or so. It allows the plant to uptake more nutrients. I’ll use 1 tablespoon of epsom salt whenever I renew the nutes to speed uptake and improve chlorophyll production.

'Freedom Disappears Under The Dominance Of A Bad Habit'

ReplyQuote
Share: